Thursday, June 6, 2013

My Trip to Paris, France: Snacks

For my last post for this trip to France, I wanted to show you the mish mosh of snacks we had while site seeing or late night snacking or just eating because we could. First up, the lardon pizza from Martin Yannick with mushrooms. This was actually the very first thing I ate when I stepped off that plane. It was as awesome as it looks.



We scouted out the local grocer for water and provisions for our rooms. That's when I spotted this lovely bag of chips, olive flavored. And it certainly was olive flavored. In fact, it was so much like olives that I really raved about it. It was really good. They have other tapas flavors but we couldn't find them.
And here's my first box of Pierre Herme macarons with flavors like strawberry and creame, olive and vanilla cream, salted caramel, passion fruit, coffee, etc. This is the only place that I can honestly say I like the macarons. I've tried so many in my life that nothing compares to these. In fact, I enjoyed them so much that I bought a second box.
Stracciatella and citron gelato from Tutti Sensi. It was meh. Not very creamy nor rich in flavor.
But the lack of gelato quality was soon overshadowed by the awesomeness of this shop named Rotisserie Lepic where we purchased sausages to share. I had the cheese sausage while another friend had the andouille. I really enjoyed the snap of that natural casing. Wow, that was good. The also had chops, chicken, steaks, etc. A really great place to pick up items for a picnic.
A croissant or two with a cappucino was my choice of breakfast on most mornings in Paris. Our go to place was Eric Kayser. Really good quality stuff here.
And what's a trip to Paris without some canele? We found a store nearby called Baillardran that sold only canele. Can we say specialty shop? Soft custardy middles and chewy caramelized outsides. This box was to share. Again, I enjoyed it so much that I bought a second box later in the week.
Here are some super tiny strawberries from Hediard that were so incredibly sweet and yet had a slight tart. A really great snack.
You didn't think I would spend the trip without another bad of chips, would you? This time it's roasted chicken and thyme flavored. This is the first bag of chips that I've ever had that actually tasted like the meat it's supposed to represent. Each chip tasted deeply of chicken broth accented with herbs. It was really, really good. The flavors seemed natural which is why I enjoyed it so much.
While in Aix En Provence, we found a the Bechard bakery that specialized in calissons which is a marzipan like candy popular in the city. Unfortunately, they got squashed in transit so no picture but we did enjoy a lovely pastry from the bakery. Below is a croissant with 2 hot dogs. Yeah, it was pretty awesome.
As the weather got hot, we looked for more gelato to cool us down. Here at Amorino famous for its flower like cones, I enjoyed a passion fruit center and limon leaves.
I enjoyed the gelato so much that I had it a second time. This time with pistachio middle and coffee petals. Still really, really good. So creamy, rich, and flavorful.
And more potato chips. These are bolognaise flavored and tasted like tomato chips that you can find in the states. Nothing special with these.
These cheeseburger chips were hard to find but we finally did. They tasted like Burger King Whoppers. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. But at least it tasted like a burger I've had before. May that be artificially flavored or not. Whatever the case, I'll stick to the roast chicken chips.
And the last potato chips of the trip were salt and vinegar. Here they use malt vinegar which had a lighter tang but still very enjoyable.
While at the airport, we purchased some Lauderee macarons just to see what the difference would be compared to Pierre Herme macarons. No contest. These lacked the texture and flavor I found amazing with the macarons (with 2 different boxes, no less) from Pierre Herme.
France is a great place to eat either on the run or leisurely at a sit down restaurant. Whichever you choose, just make sure you get the best out of the places you visit. Don't waste your time and enjoy every second. It's worth it.

Martin Yannick
302 Rue Saint-Honoré
Paris, France 75001
+33 1 42 60 34 02

Pierre Herme
4 rue Cambon
Paris, France 75001
+33 (0)1 43 54 47 77
pierreherme.com

Tutti Sensi
14 rue Norvins
Paris, France 75018
+33 (0)1 42 23 91 58

La Rotisserie Lepic
20 Rue Lepic
Paris, France 75018
+33 1 53 28 06 84

Eric Kayser
33 Rue Danielle Casanova
Paris, France 75001
+33 01 42 97 59 29
erickayser.com‎

Baillardran
12 Boulevard des Capucines
Paris, France 75009
+33 01 47 42 39 88
baillardran.com

Hediard
21 Place de la Madeleine
Paris, France 75008
+33 01 43 12 88 99
hediard.fr‎

Bechard
12 Cours Mirabeau
Aix-en-Provence, France 13100
+33 4 42 26 06 78

Amorino
29 quai des Belges
Marseille, France 13001
+33 04 88 86 75 21
amorino.com

Amorino
2 rue Bedarride - angle rue Espariat
Aix-en-Provence, France 13100
+33 04 42 50 60 23

Lauderee
Charles De Gaulle Airport
95700 Roissy-en-France
Paris, France
laduree.fr

2 comments:

  1. Lays really drops the ball when it comes to flavors I can get in the US. I really want to try that roast chicken and the salt and vinegar ones (I love malt vinegar).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ever try fresh potato chips with seasoning!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.