Thursday, July 25, 2013

Keste

A few months ago, a few friends from Richmond, VA came up to visit us. With 2 small children in tow and a gluten allergy, I had to find a place to eat that would please everyone. Although the usual carbohydrate free cuisines came to mind, I wanted to give them something more. I hear often that gluten sensitive people crave their breads and pastas the most because they can't have it. So I thought what is more quintessential than pizza in NYC? After looking around, I ended up at Keste. It has received very good reviews for their pizza in general and they also offer gluten free pizza (6 different kinds!). So, I was intrigued.

We arrived on a cool spring evening with a half hour wait. We were willing to wait. Once seated, we looked over the menu and decided on a few pies. They're mostly personal pies though the 2 kids shared one. I picked the Pizza Diavola ($16) with hot soppressatta, tomato sauce, homemade mozzarella, basil, and olive oil. It came hot to the table with lightly charred edges.
The crust was thin and the edges puffy. The toppings were well distributed and generous but without being overbearing. Overall, it was an excellent pizza. When I lifted it up for the obligatory upskirt, the crust remained stiff. No soggy or soft crust here. It was chewy, crunchy, and mild but not forgotten. The toppings were slightly spicy from the sausage, sweet from the sauce, creamy from the cheese, then rich from the oil, and fresh from the basil. This was the best neopolitan pizza I've ever had. I haven't had many different ones overall (I prefer old school NYC style) but this has been the best so far, hands down. It was delicious from the crust, to the sauce, to the toppings. Everything had its job and worked really well together.

And how did the gluten free pizza go? Really well! No cross contamination. No symptoms occurred at all. Everyone was a happy camper. Especially me.

Keste
271 Bleecker Street
New York, NY 10014
(212) 243-1500
kestepizzeria.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.