Friday, August 23, 2013

Lunch Week 29: Chicken with Mushroom Wine Sauce

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch the next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it every week unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided.

So my lunch for the week: Chicken with Mushroom Wine Sauce
Sometimes you have an open bottle of wine that you don't want to drink anymore. Not that it was spoiled but you just don't desire it. That was the scenario that I was in. So instead, I cooked with it making chicken with mushroom wine sauce for lunch. Above, you can see the main ingredients I used in my lunch minus the bottle of wine. There is chicken, sliced baby bella mushrooms, garlic, and baby kale.

I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs but breast would work here too. I think dark meat has much better texture and flavor though. I seasoned the chicken with salt and pepper then dusted it with flour. Into a hot pan with oil, I seared both sides of the chicken until golden brown.
Then I removed the chicken to a separate pan and in went the sliced mushrooms with a bit of seasoning as well. They soaked up the chicken juices and fat nicely.
 Next add the wine and simmer until the alcohol is cooked off.
Then nestle the chicken pieces back into the sauce. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes until the meat is cooked through.
 I served the chicken and mushrooms with a side of garlic sauteed baby kale.
The chicken is so tender and juicy while the mushrooms are earthy. The sauce is slightly sweet but mellow. They all just work together nicely. The side of kale is pungent from the garlic but the natural bitterness held up well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.