Thursday, August 8, 2013

Shanghai Cafe

I've been going to Shanghai Cafe for a really long time. First with my parents when I was younger, and now with my family and friends. It never disappoints.
 Like the rice cakes with pork and preserved greens. Chewy but with meaty and pickly flavors. A classic.

And some lo mein for those who want even more carbs. Soy sauce laden noodles quickly stir fried so it's not gummy.
Stir fried bok choy with garlic. Mmm, vegetables. A nice refreshing dish to offset the pork that is to come.
Like in the form of soup dumplings. I prefer the pork only version and don't care for the crab roe ones. Hot soup and fatty pork in each dumpling with a thin wrapper. Wait a few minutes to let it cool slightly and the wrapper will harden just a bit to prevent popping. Good chopstick skills are helpful here.
And the tiny fried buns. Similar to the soup dumplings but with much thicker wrappers/buns but the crispy bottom is delicious. Sometimes, I just want to eat all the bottoms with the pork and juice inside. You know, kind of like how people only eat muffin tops.

Shanghai Cafe
100 Mott St
New York, NY 10013
(212) 966-3988

1 comment:

  1. I almost thought this was from the last time we went but I don't remember bok choi on the table. Hahah, I guess you like your standard orders :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.