Thursday, September 5, 2013

Cooking: Johnson's Spareribs

I've been looking for a make at home rib recipe. One that doesn't involve smoking. I don't have a smoker...yet. So when I saw a recipe for Johnson's Spareribs, I was intrigued with the homemade sauce. Of course, what is a meal of ribs without corn on the cob and mac n cheese, right? I also fancied it up with croissants. Why not?

The recipe starts with a cajun rub then baked in the over in water until slightly tender.
While the ribs cooked, I prepared the sauce which is ketchup based with some hot sauce and lemons.
I let it simmer until homogeneous. Darn, it was spicier than what I would have like.
After the sauce is ready, I brushed on a good layer onto the ribs then continued to roast it until fully cooked through.
Once cooked, I let it cool on a cutting board.
Then I sliced the ribs using the bones as my guide.
Here's the side of the mac n cheese which turns out to the creamiest version I've ever made. Conclusion? No more baked mac n cheese. Straight from the stove to the pan is best.
And some lovely corn boiled in salted water until just cooked through.
So how did the ribs taste? Just okay. They were obviously too spicy for my liking. I like a more sweet and tangy sauce as opposed to spicy. Luckily the creamy mac n cheese helped alleviate any of the heat. And the corn was sweet and juicy. Summer Jersey corn. Yum!

Overall, I was just mildly satisfied with Johnson's spareribs recipe. With that said, I'm still looking for my perfect rib. Have any suggestions?

Recipe below courtesy of epicurious.com and Gourmet

Johnson's Spareribs
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
1 (3 1/2- to 4-lb) rack of pork spareribs
1/4 cup Cajun seasoning
1 large lemon
1 cup ketchup
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, quartered
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup mild honey
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
5 tablespoons Tabasco
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes
1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions
Pat ribs dry and rub Cajun seasoning all over them. Fold rack of ribs into thirds and put in a large sealable plastic bag, then marinate, chilled, at least 8 hours, or up to 1 day.

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.

Put rack of ribs, bone side up, in roasting pan and pour 3 cups water around ribs (water will not cover ribs). Bake, uncovered, basting with liquid and turning meat over every 30 minutes, until meaty side of ribs is browned, 2 hours total.

Meanwhile, halve lemon and squeeze 1/4 cup juice into a 1 1/2- to 2-quart heavy saucepan. Add lemon halves and stir in remaining ingredients. Bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Discard lemon halves.

Pour off and discard water from roasting pan, then coat ribs with 2 cups sauce. Arrange ribs, meaty side up, in roasting pan and bake until ribs are tender and sauce is baked onto ribs, 40 to 50 minutes more. Serve ribs with remaining sauce.

Cooks' note: Sauce can be made 1 day ahead and cooled completely, uncovered, then chilled, covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.