Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Hybird [CLOSED]

In an effort to try new (to me) fried chicken joints, Mr. M&P, Dessert Zombie, and I went to Hybird in Chelsea Market. We've heard good things about Questlove's fried chicken joint that was featured on the Jimmy Fallon Show. Questlove is the resident drummer of the Roots band with a penchant for good food.
So we arrived at Chelsea Market, order ourselves 2 - 4 piece ($14.50). At the time, they only offered drumsticks. The size of the drumsticks were larger than normal. Huge in a daunting way. The crust was thick and super crispy. Well seasoned but overall not bad. I enjoyed the chicken but it felt too heavy for me. After 2 pieces, it sat in the pit of my stomach. I think it was the breading. It was too much for me. The biscuit with honey butter ($2) was just okay. Not too buttery and flaky but not a rock either. It definitely needed the honey butter. The biscuit was ridiculously huge too.

If that wasn't enough, we also got some dumplings to share. These do not seem to be on the menu anymore. We tried the mornay truffle and egg dumpling ($7) and it just tasted greasy. Not the wonton wrapper but the filling. It was too rich and wasn't balanced well. I wouldn't order this again which is moot because since they remove the option.
Overall, I thought my experience at Hybird was just okay. The size of each drumstick was huge and the dumplings were a miss. However, since my visit the menu has changed drastically. They no longer offer dumplings nor cupcakes. Instead, they offer various sides and custard. The chicken itself was reduced in size and price. The drumsticks are now smaller and at $2 each ($4 previously). They also offer thighs, breasts, and wings now (just drumsticks previously). Maybe I'll go back and try the new stuff. I'm intrigued to see how it has changed.

Hybird
Chelsea Market
75 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10011
(212) 989-3332
hybirdnyc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.