Friday, October 11, 2013

Lunch Week 35: Chinese Dinner Leftovers

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch the next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it every week unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided.

So my lunch for the week: Chinese Dinner Leftovers
I spent last weekend cooking up a feast to celebrate Mrs. Pattis Magician's and Ms. Pastry Chef's birthdays. Every year, they request a Chinese dinner and so I deliver. If you know me, then there is usually some left over food. You can't ever run out of food and leave people hungry. It's better to over cook then to under cook. So I used all the leftovers as lunch for the forth coming week. That meant a day off from massive cooking for me on Sunday. Though, truth be told, I ended up spending Sunday prepping other foods for other occasions. Such as dumpling wrapping and granola baking.

A couple of staples show up year after year. Like lo mein to represent a long life. This year, I made a mushroom lo mein using fresh shiitake, chanterelle, and enoki mushrooms.  Savory, earthy, and rich. A side of yu choy to balance out the lunch.

Fried rice was made upon request from Mrs. Pastry Chef. Homemade fried rice will always be better than what you can get at a restaurant. Why? Because you're not using the scraps to make it. Freshly steam Chinese sausage, sauteed shrimp, fluffy eggs, garlic, scallions, shiitake mushrooms, and spring peas. It's something great when you put the effort into it.
Another staple are dumplings. This year's version was ground beef and chives. It came out really good and I think I'll use this combination going forward. Don't worry, the pork and cabbage ones are still a staple in my home as well.
And what's a celebratory dinner without a showcase dish like honey walnut shrimp. It's super easy for me now. Large shrimp in a wet batter made with egg whites and corn starch. Deep fried until cooked through then tossed in a sweet kewpie mayo and condensed milk sauce. Garnished with blanched broccoli on the bottom and candied walnuts on top. It's a favorite of Mrs. Pattis Magician.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.