Friday, October 25, 2013

Lunch Week 37: Scotch Eggs with Roasted Winter Salad

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch the next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it every week unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided.

So my lunch for the week: Scotch Eggs with Roasted Winter Salad
After a few of weeks of not so healthy lunches like sausages, leftover Chinese food, and pulled pork, I decided to do a vegetable heavy lunch. Luckily, autumn has been in full bloom with bountiful harvests of vegetables. My farmers market had quite the bounty. I snatched up some kale, butternut squash, cauliflower, and beets. I cooked them all separately so they'll retain their own flavors. Oh and I need some protein in my lunch so I made scotch eggs.

First up, the scotch eggs. They're hard boiled eggs wrapped with sausage. I found it easiest to take a ball of sausage meat, flatten it on plastic wrap, place a peeled hard boiled egg in the middle. Then close the plastic wrap around the egg and press any air pockets out. The sausage would be one nice thin layer then bread crumbs on the outside as the last ingredient. I pan fried each of them. They cooked pretty quickly.
Ah beets. Wonderful little things. These are red beets with trimmed the greens off. Washed and seasoned with salt and oil. Then wrapped in foil tightly and set in the oven (or toasted over) at 400oF for about 45-60 minutes. Remove and let continue to steam so the skins come off easily. Peel and slice. Work quickly or your fingers would be stained bright red/pink.
You didn't think I'd throw out the beet greens, do you? Nope. I washed them and sauteed them with salt and pepper.
And the kale. This is Tuscan kale which I cleaned then sauteed in oil, salt, and pepper. I chopped it into small pieces so that I could eat the tough stems as well.
The cauliflower was roasted in the oven at 375oF for about 30 minutes until tender. For seasoning, I used salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. They get this really nice caramelized sweet flavor after roasting.
The butternut squash was also roasted in the oven at 375oF for about 60 minutes. The peeled and chopped pieces were simply tossed with oil, salt, and pepper.
And that's it. I plated all the vegetables in the container then added a split scotch egg on top.
This lunch was actually pretty filling with all the different textures and flavors. It wasn't a lot of food but it certainly was hearty and kept me full for hours. I really enjoyed it and would definitely make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.