Friday, November 1, 2013

Hospoda

Dinner at Hospoda one night with Feisty Foodie, Dessert Zombie, and couple of their friends as well. We looked over the menu and decided on the Restaurant Week Menu ($38 for 3 course prix fixe) because the choices seemed good (I actually didn't even know restaurant week was going on), the place was not packed at all, and service was more than accommodating. We went from a 4 person party to 5 last minute. They helped us move and I was very grateful.
The meal started with an amuse bouche of cucumber and herbs juice with bread crumbs. This was really refreshing though it seemed like it needed just a bit of fat like olive oil. I thought those were bacon bits at first but alas only bread. They also served us some bread with cocoa butter (not pictured). It needed salt.

My first plate was the fluke carpaccio with roasted garlic, red pepper, pimenton, and dark lager. The fish was very fresh and sliced to a nice thickness. The strong flavors of garlic and pepper paired pretty well. I enjoyed this.
The other choices for a first course was the soft poached egg with chives, yukon gold potato, trout roe, and onion.
And the last first course choice was the braised pork belly with dijon mustard, stout, and peas.
For my main course, I had seared scallops with corn, sweet cherries, and chicken jus. The scallops were quite large and very plump. It was seared nicely on the inside and left tender and almost raw on the inside. The pureed corn was sweet and creamy as can be. The cherries popped with their own naturally fruity sweetness. And the polenta cake was soft and fluffy. Not the dense monstrosities I've had at other establishments. The chicken jus lent a savory rich note to the otherwise sweet dish.
The other main dish that everyone else ordered was the veal loin with potato confit, romaine hearts, lemon, and bohemian pilsner.
Dessert was bananas, madras curry, and wheat beer. We all didn't think this would work but it kind of did. I wouldn't say it was excellent but I certainly ate the whole thing. The sweetness of the bananas with the spices of the curry, and the bitterness of the beer really balanced each other out. I probably would never order this again if I was given the choice but it was interesting to try it once.
And as a parting gift, they gave us a plate of chocolate dirt along with the check. This was quite delicious. Rich chocolate pieces made to look like the ground along with tufts of grass.
Overall, I enjoyed my meal at Hospoda. The menu was interesting with the addition of their housemade beer in the dishes. They also boast about their beer program. They'll talk shop about the importance of foam on top. In the end, I don't think Hospoda warrants a destination visit. But if you're in the area, it's a nice place to have a meal.

Hospoda
321 E 73rd Street
New York, NY 10021
(212) 861-1038
hospodanyc.com

1 comment:

  1. Nice meal that night and delicious beers!! The chocolate dirt stunk up my hand. There was cherries in it too.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.