Monday, December 2, 2013

(Belated) Lunch Week 39: Korean-Mexican Salad

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch the next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it every week unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided.

So my lunch for the week 3 weeks ago: Korean-Mexican Salad
This week's lunch was originally supposed to be lettuce wraps with Korean and Mexican ingredients. It was supposed to be kind of a taco but with lettuce instead. When I purchased my Boston lettuce heads, I wasn't particularly happy with the varying sizes making it difficult to use as taco shells. So instead, I made the lunch into a salad.

I started with shredding the lettuce on the bottom. Then I made a quick kimchee (thanks for Maangchi, my source for all things Korean). Then I broiled some marinated galbi until caramelized and delicious. On top, I added a pico de gallo and cilantro. I tried to add avocados too but the quality was lacking.

This is a funky smelling lunch. The kimchee is mostly to blame. Although it's not the prettiest looking lunch, it's delicious. The fatty, meaty and sweet galbi. The pungent and spicy kimchee. The crunchy fresh lettuce. The sweet, tart tomatoes with a punch of raw garlic. And the freshness of the cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.