Friday, December 13, 2013

Thanksgiving: Apple Pie

I made apple pie for Thanksgiving dessert per usual. But I didn't like how it came out. I tried a new pie crust recipe that everyone has been raving about it. It didn't fail, per se. But it didn't hold up the way I wanted it to.


There were a few key problems. First, I doubled the recipe to make a double crust pie. The recipe doesn't state if you can do this or not. The problem that I came across was that the crust was too soft when the pie was served warm. Yes, I let the pie settle and set overnight and rewarmed it in the oven at a low temp. I don't know about you but I really enjoy a warm slice of pie with a cold scoop of vanilla ice cream. Anyway, because I was doing a double crust pie, I couldn't blind bake the bottom before putting the filling in. I guess that's why it was too soft.

But the taste was nice and the pie dough was much softer when served at room temperature.

I don't know I stray from my original pie recipe. I guess I'm always looking for something better even though I'm perfectly satisfied with what I have already.

Oh well, back to the original recipe. Good thing because I plan on making more pies next year. I really miss them.

Here's a link to my other apple pie post with step by step instructions and a recipe.
http://tasty-eating.blogspot.com/2011/01/baking-apple-pie.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.