Monday, December 9, 2013

Thanksgiving: Mustard Glazed Ham

Once I tried a real smoked ham, I never went back to those supermarket generic hams. The flavor and texture was just that much better that it became a staple in my Thanksgiving feast.
This year, I added my own tweaks which resulted in a much juicier ham with a lot more mustard glaze to go around. I received good responses about these tweaks so this is the way I'll do it going forward. I didn't do step by step picture instructions since I have a pretty good post about that here. But I will repost the recipe with my personal changes.

My recipe was adapted to the following recipe below:
Holiday Ham with Riesling and Mustard by epicurious.com

Mustard Glazed Ham

Ingredients
1 14–16-pound whole smoked bone-in ham
2 cups white wine, divided
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 cup finely chopped shallots, about 1 shallot
3 sprigs thyme plus 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1/2 cup whole grain mustard
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Small pinch of kosher salt

Directions
Arrange a rack to lowest level of oven; preheat to 300°F.
1. Leaving fat intact, remove outer rind of ham. Score fat crosswise (do not cut into meat) on top of ham with parallel cuts spaced 1/2" apart. Place ham in rack of a large roasting pan.
2. Combine 1 cup white wine and 7 cups water. Pour into bottom of roasting pan. Bake ham until an instant-read thermometer inserted into center of ham registers 135oF, about 2 1/2 hours.
3. Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and thyme sprigs; cook, stirring often, until shallots are very soft, about 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat; stir in the remaining 1 cup white wine.
4. Return to stove and increase heat to medium-high, bring to a simmer, and cook until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 8 minutes. Remove the thyme sprigs and add thyme leaves, mustard, honey, pepper, and salt.
5. Remove ham from oven and let rest 30 minutes. Slice into pieces then brush on mustard glaze on each piece. Transfer to large platter and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.