Friday, January 10, 2014

Lunch Week 2: Sauteed Fish over Pea Puree with Roasted Potatoes

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch the next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it every week unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided.

So my lunch for the week: Sauteed Fish over Pea Puree with Roasted Potatoes
I'm trying to eat more fish this year. I really enjoy it but it's difficult to pull off for my weekly lunch. The shelf life is kind of low and by the end of the week, we're not liking the taste very much. Offset the fast deterioration of the cooked fish, I've decided to cook it every night for the next day. So it'll only be one day old. It's not the freshest but who has time to do that?

A really easy way to cook fish is to melt some butter, and then add the fillets. Sear until golden brown then flip over. Don't forget to season the meat. A really thin fillet like flounder only takes about 5 minutes total while a more thick piece like cod takes about double. I only 1 tbsp of butter for about 4 fillets. So you really don't need much fat at all for all that flavor. Oh, and I did garnish the top with butter toasted panko crumbs. It just adds that extra oomph at the end. It's purely optional so you may omit that if you want. But I think it adds a wonderful crunch and flavor contrast to the fish.

Accompanying the flounder and cod this week are roasted potatoes and a pea puree. The latter is a smooth, creamy side made with cooked frozen peas, mint, lemon zest, parmigiano cheese, and milk. It's very luxurious and pairs really well with seafood. I think it would also go well with scallops and/or shrimp.

I really enjoyed how the fish came out this way. Obviously the flavor and freshness factor was better but it was much better. Even though some nights I'd rather not be searing fish at 10:30pm, I know I wouldn't regret it the next day. To more fish this year!

1 comment:

  1. What a great lunch!! Not sure i would be dedicated enough to cook it each night...... Do you like tinned fish like sardines or smoked trout? Wild Planet has some great sustainable options fyi.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.