Monday, February 10, 2014

Lunch Week 4: Black Rice with Butternut Squash, Edamame, and Pomegranate Seeds

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch the next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it every week unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided.

So my lunch for the week: Black Rice with Butternut Squash, Edamame, and Pomegranate Seeds
I've had this bag of black rice in my cupboard for years now. I never got around cooking it because I didn't know what to do with it. Then I came across a recipe for a black rice salad filled with tons of fresh vegetables from the spring bounty. But we're in the dead of winter. Fast forward a few more years, and I finally decided to make it. But this time with some winter vegetables like butternut squash.

The rice cooked really easily on the stove top. Just 1 3/4 cup of water per 1 cup of rice. Boil then turn heat to low. Cook 45 minutes until all the water is absorbed. One thing to note is that this rice needed salt desperately. I tasted pretty terrible without it.
Once the rice was cooked, I tossed it with roasted butternut squash, blanched edamame, pomegranate seeds, wilted spring mix, fresh scallions, and cilantro.

This dish turned out vegan without me even trying. I think it tastes pretty good with all the different flavors and textures going on. But honestly, I'm sick right now and I can't tell the difference with the lack of tastebuds in my mouth. I've lost my sense of taste.. So really, you'll just have to make it yourself and try it out.
*On the bag of black rice, it said that it was white rice grains in black beans making it black rice. I'm not sure if that's true or not but thought that would be an interesting tidbit.

*Editor's note: Later on in the week as I got better and better, I could taste this dish. The rice itself is kind of nutty like brown rice but not overly so. It's certainly much more filling than just white rice. The heartiness of the edamame pairs well with the sweetness of the butternut squash. The pomegranate seeds provide a nice tang (which got lost when heated though...boo) while the scallions and cilantro added the perfect amount of herby freshness to the whole thing. The wilted spring mix was all but lost in taste but did lend a nice hand in texture.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds amazing!! I have a random bag of black rice in my pantry that may finally be cooked now :)
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.