Friday, February 28, 2014

Lunch Week 8: Turkey Meatloaf with Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch the next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it every week unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided.

So my lunch for the week: Turkey Meatloaf with Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower
I really enjoy meatloaf. It gets a bad reputation though. Some think it's greasy, flavorless, and boring. Well, if you don't add any seasoning, of course it's doing to be a dense tasteless mess. Ketchup can't save everything.

I like to use ground turkey meat for my meatloaf. It's much less in fat and the way this is cooked, a premium cut of meat isn't necessary. The seasoning I use are: garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and worchestershire sauce. To that, I add sauteed vegetables that adds additional flavor but more importantly, it serves the purpose for texture. If you've made meatballs before, you know that a ball of meat can be dense and dry. Now think of how it would be shaped into a large loaf. Yeah, even worse. In meatballs, people put in bread to soften it. For meatloaf, you can technically do the same but I prefer sauteed vegetables. It's not only healthier but it also just tastes better. Think of it of a sofrito or the base of many soups/stews.
Oh and because turkey is so lean, it doesn't come out greasy at all. But watch out. If you overbake it (like I did this time), then it gets pretty rubbery. But the juiciness was still there thanks to the vegetables. Safe yourself the disappointment and use a thermometer instead. Cook until the inside is 165oF for perfect turkey meatloaf goodness.
For a recipe, please see my previous post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.