Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Ippudo Westside

NYC has really become quite the ramen town. There are so many options that I can't keep up. But when a friend asks, "ramen for lunch today?", you don't hesitate. Especially when this friend is gluten sensitive and will forego the subsequent uncomfortableness for some delicious ramen. Let this be known that Ippudo Westside does a gluten free rice based noodles with a vegetable broth. But that latter part didn't interest my friend at all. Vegetable broth? He wants the pork, thank you very much.
We started off the meal with a carafe of sake (lunch break from work) and some shishito peppers ($8). He's never had these peppers before but was interested if they were spicy. It's like Russian roulette, I told him. Some are sweet, others spicy. Luckily, he had most of the spicy ones.

For his ramen, he had the Karaka-men ($14) with a spicy tonkatsu broth and thin noodles. The garnishes are pork chasu, cabbage, mushrooms, scallions, and garlic oil. But that wasn't enough. He also added a soft boiled egg (+$2) and spicy paste (+$2). Oh man, he loved this. Spicy, rich, warming, and filling. He was a slurp happy customer.
For my ramen, I picked the Shirmaru Hakata Classic ($14) with a tonkatsu broth, dashi, and thin noodles. My garnishes were pork chasu, menma (bamboo shoots), mushrooms, red pickled ginger, and scallions. I also opted for an egg (+$2) but they forgot it. They gave it to me on the side instead.
I also really enjoyed my ramen. The flavorful broth, chewy noodles, and mix of toppings really satisfied me. It was a lunch worth going out into the Polar Vortex for.

Oh and if you're worried about the wait time which can get snarly at peak times, go before 12noon and you should be fine.

Ippudo Westside
321 W 51st Street
New York, NY 10019
(212) 974-2500
ippudony.com/about-west

3 comments:

  1. I think this is the first time I've read you post without a code name for a friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People have to show up a few times on the blog to be given a code name. Otherwise, I'll just be making code names all the time. That's too much work!

      Delete
    2. I completely agree... some people never make the blog. Or I just use initials. I had a friend who haaaaaated it when I referred to him as my "dining companion" repeatedly hahaha

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.