Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Tuesday Night: Spice

Towards the end of  one year, my friends thought that we weren't hanging out enough. It's true, we weren't. So they started Tuesday night get-togethers. Every Tuesday, we'll pick a bar to drink, eat, and hang out for a couple of hours. Whoever can make it will attend. If you're busy, it's okay. There's always next week. So this is Tuesday Nights on Tasty Eating where you will find bars that serve food and how we like them.

On this recent Tuesday Night, we headed out to: Spice

It's been awhile since I've posted about a Tuesday Night. I've been going out on and off for awhile and we've also picked some repeat places. I tired of blogging about them but maybe I'll rehash it again. But truth be told, probably not because I'm really behind on posting...yet again. I know, I know.
Anyway, as usual with any Tuesday Night, we ordered a bunch of appetizers to share. These curry puffs ($6) with chicken, potatoes, and onions were very mediocre. They seemed like a frozen to fryer kind.

Next, the Thai spare ribs ($7) with tamarind glaze chili sauce. Another miss on their part. Sticky, sweet, and cloying. It's something out of the chain restaurant guide book.
And these are the golden fritters ($6). Again, another generic fried dumpling. Completely not memorable.
The Spice crispy calamari ($6) was a good portion for the price but again, nothing special about it at all.
We also ordered a main dish for the each of us. While all my friends received their dish, I waited and waited and nothing appeared. We called our waitress over and she had no recollection about the order. Ummm, doesn't it seem weird that I'm the only person that doesn't have a plate in front of herself? So she asked me what I chose. I said glass noodles ($11). When I received it, I totally did a hand to the forehead. I actually initially wanted the drunken noodles ($12) instead. Sigh...this wasn't what I wanted and now it was too late. I was so annoyed at myself and at the wait staff. Argh! I ate this dish and it was cloyingly sweet. I didn't expect any different from the original dish though. I just didn't expect much, I guess.
Overall, I thought Spice wasn't very good. The sauce and flavors were too cloyingly sweet and not impressive. It was a bastardized version of what Thai food should taste like, I guess. Americanized flavors for people who don't know better. Or for people who don't want to know better.

Spice
236 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10011
(212)620-4585
spicethainyc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.