Friday, May 30, 2014

Lunch Week 19: Chimichurri Chicken Sandwiches

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch the next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it every week unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided.

So my lunch for the week: Chimichurri Chicken Sandwiches
I didn't have much to make lunch a couple of weeks ago. I didn't want to just eat a salad again or unhealthy deli meat. I wanted something more interesting. So I made chimichurri chicken sandwiches. The freshness of the herbs and the tartness of the vinegar really made the sandwich taste fresh and bright.

I started by making the chimichurri sauce which was a combination of parsley, cilantro, shallot, red wine vinegar, garlic, oil, salt, and pepper.
I used half of the chimichurri sauce to marinate the chicken for about an hour. By the way, I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
Then I pan seared the chicken on medium high heat until cooked through.
And finally, I tossed the chicken in the rest of the chimichurri sauce to serve. That's right a double dose of the chimichurri sauce.
I just layered the chicken on an onion burger bun with boston lettuce, a slice of tomato, and red onion. I didn't use any condiments but I would think some mayonnaise on the buns would help prevent sogginess from the vegetables or even excess sauce.
And there you go, a chimichurri chicken sandwich. Light yet satisfying.

Recipe below courtesy of Bon Appetit

Chimichurri Sauce
Makes 4 cups

Ingredients
1 finely chopped shallot
4 finely chopped garlic cloves
1 finely chopped Fresno chile or red jalapeño
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/3 cup chopped fresh oregano
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Directions
Combine 1 finely chopped shallot, 4 finely chopped garlic cloves, 1 finely chopped Fresno chile or red jalapeño, 1/2 cup red wine vinegar, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a medium bowl; let stand 10 minutes. Mix in 2 cups chopped fresh cilantro, 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, 1/3 cup chopped fresh oregano, and 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil; season with salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.