Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Mile End Delicatessen

When people come to NYC, they ask what should I eat? Well, there's a plethora of food here and the choices are endless. But what I really point to are foods that they don't necessarily get in other parts of the country/world. One of those things, is Jewish food. Specifically Jewish deli meat. Oh there's something so wonderful about pastrami or corned beef or beef tongue. It's something special and an experience in itself. Now, I'm a fan of all those famous places in NYC like Katz, Carnegie, 2nd Ave, etc. Those are the staples that I bring out of town people to. Who am I kidding? I go just for myself as well.
So when I heard about Mile End Delicatessen, I was a bit intrigued and cautious at the same time. Here's a newcomer in a world of well distinguished Jewish delis in NYC. What are they trying to do that's different? Or are they not trying to be different at all? So I went to try what it was all about. With Mr. M&P in tow, of course.

We skipped the appetizers and went straight to the sandwiches. He ordered the the Ruth Wilensky ($9) with beef salami, mustard, and an onion roll. That beef salami was really strong in flavor with lots of spices. It was perfect to stand up to the sharp mustard and onion roll. A solid sandwich indeed. The only complaint I think he had was that he wished there were more meat. I think he was expecting sky high meat like you may find at the other establishments.

For myself, I had the smoked meat sandwich ($14) with cured and smoked brisket, mustard, and rye bread. This combination is a classic in my book. A good mix of lean and fat brisket piled onto a mustard slicked rye seeded bread. The bread to meat ratio was just perfect for me. Not too much of any one ingredient. Good smoky flavor, sharp tang of mustard, and a slight bitterness from the rye. All very good.
And what's a sandwich without a side of fries? Well these fries ($5) were expertly cooked. Super crispy on the outside. In fact, it stayed crispy through the last fry. But the inside was hot, soft, and fluffy. A mastered french fry.
I really enjoyed my meal at Mile End Sandwich. The smoky, spiced meat with spicy mustard and hearty bread was delightful. Welcome to the club, Mile End Delicatessen.

Mile End Delicatssen
53 Bond Street
New York, NY 10012
(212) 529-2990
mileenddeli.com

11 comments:

  1. Mile End is actually an interpretation of Jewish Deli from Montreal. A welcome addition to the dying NYC deli scene.

    Pretty damn tasty stuff. Try the poutine next time for some extra artery clogging goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that's good to know. Thanks! Mmm, artery clogging goodness.

      Delete
  2. Montreal has a slew of their own style of Jewish deli. It's interesting. Give me Ben's Best any day... when are you coming back to my 'hood for some eating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to try the bagels in Montreal.

      Delete
  3. Hungry, there is that new bagel shop here that has Montreal style bagels, but I know they're sweet and I'm not a huge fan of that kind of stuff.

    That smoked meat looks fantastic! Though I'd probably try the salami first; I'm such a sucker for cured meats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Blackseed. Sounds good but the line is ridiculous. Not doing that.

      Delete
    2. Yeah! F lines.

      Delete
  4. I know you're against Brooklyn if you can help it, but the original is so tasty, and not a sandwich place. Top-drawer poutine, as you might expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, I'm not against Brooklyn. I grew up there!

      Delete
    2. I know you aren't against the concept of Brooklyn, just the distance.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.