Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Scarpetta

For our Anniversary this year, Mr. M&P and I toned it down a bit. We had our Spain trip coming up in a week and didn't want to blow too much money now. So we met somewhere in the middle for price and ate at Scarpetta. This Italian restaurant made famous by Scott Conant sits in Chelsea among the other trendy places.
We arrive on time for our reservation and are sat quickly. We ordered some wine then their famous bread basket comes to the table. This is no ordinary bread. They serve meat stuffed bread here for free. Yes, for free. Devour away.

But don't forget about the accompaniments either. The eggplant caponata, olive oil, and salt are great on the plain piece of bread. There's really a kind of bread for almost any palate.
After we looked over the menu, I decided to start with the duck and foie gras ravioli ($26). It is as wonderful as it sounds. Housemade pasta stuffed with tender duck meat and the richness of foie gras. This was a fairly large plate of pasta. In fact, the waiter informed me that my order was really filling and wanted to make sure that I was aware. Oh yes. I certainly was. I was particularly hungry this night. I listened to his advice but stayed with my decision.
Mr. M&P had the short rib and bone marrow agnolotti ($25). This dish was equally as delicious. Tender slow cooked short rib and the fatty richness of bone marrow.
And for my entree, I had the pancetta wrapped pork chop ($39) with a side of guanciale, baby turnips, and fennel puree. This was really good. Tender, juicy pork chop left just slightly pink in the middle. Crispy pancetta wrapping the large bone-in chop and sauced with a savory brown jus. If I were at home, I'd pick it up and eat the bone clean. But I need to be a human in public.  So I just neatly cut all the meat that I could off the bone.
Mr. M&P chose a lighter dish to end his savory course: the black sea bass ($35). Crispy skin, tender meat. A nicely cooked fish. Enough to feel sated without overdoing it like I did.
And to finish off the night, we shared the Amedei chocolate cake ($12) with salted caramel gelato and chocolate butterscotch. Sweet chocolate but not overly so. A perfect bite to a good meal.
I really enjoyed Scarpetta from the decor, service, and food. Everything was spot on. I would definitely go back again.

Scarpetta
355 W 14th Street
New York, NY 10014
(212) 691-0555
scottconant.com/restaurants/scarpetta/new-york

5 comments:

  1. It did it again. What's the sauce on the ravioli? Looks like hoisin sauce.

    Sounds like a great meal though, I may have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wrong. It was a marsala wine reduction.

      Delete
  2. the pastas there are really fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bread basket really is epic! Too bad so many other restaurants have really lame ones. I love the spaghetti marinara there, its a marvelous example of simple yet perfect.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.