Friday, September 26, 2014

Lunch Week 32: Eggplant Parmesan and Sauteed Kale

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch the next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it every week unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided.

So my lunch for the week: Eggplant Parmesan and Sauteed Kale
What do you do when someone gifts you fresh eggplant and tomatoes? Why make eggplant parmesan! I already have the main ingredients but you'll just have to add some cheese and breadcrumbs. But that wasn't enough for lunch. I also added a side of sauteed kale.

First the tomatoes. I had a mix of beefsteak and plum tomatoes. I cut them into pieces then started to saute them. Then add water or stock (I prefer the latter) and continue simmering until the tomatoes break down. You can use the back of a wooden spoon to help smush the tomatoes once they've started softening.
While the tomatoes are turning into a sauce, work on the eggplant. I cut them crosswise into thick slices.
Then I breaded them using the flour, egg, breadcrumb method. Then onto baking sheets with racks and into the oven at 375oF for about and hour until golden brown and softened.
While the eggplant cooks and the tomatoes simmer, grate your cheese. I use both mozzarella (not the fresh kind) and parmesan.
Once everything is done cooking and have cooled slightly, then it's time to layer. Keep the oven on at 375oF though. First, scoop some sauce onto the bottom, then layer the eggplant, then cheese, then more sauce. Repeat until all the ingredients are used up. End with cheese and sauce on top. Then cover with foil and bake for about 30-45 minutes until bubbling and cheese is melted. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Slice and serve!
On the side, I sauteed some chopped tuscan kale in garlic and oil.
And there you go. Eggplant parmesan and sauteed kale.

2 comments:

  1. What a great lunch!! Home grown garden veggies are just the best, what a wonderful gift to recieve. And its not a meal for me unless there are greens- i've been making a saute of shredded brussel sprouts with shredded kale and chard lately that is a great earthy combo and the leftovers keep well.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, that combo of greens sound really good. Sometimes I get kind of bored of just one green but a mix of kale, brussel sprouts, and chard sounds delicious!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.