Thursday, November 6, 2014

Peasant

For Mr. Peanut Head's birthday, we went to Peasant. He's never been there before but several of us have. It's an oldie but a goodie. Solid Italian food with bold flavors. We sat as a fairly large group so I didn't take pictures of everything. I mainly focused on my own dishes and Mr. M&P's.
To start, Mr. M&P had the Pizza Bianca ($16) which was a white pizza with mozzarella, ricotta, and parmigiano reggiano and in season fava beans. This was fantastic. While I enjoyed the three cheeses, I really thought the fava beans took the pizza to another level adding both mouth pleasing flavor and texture to the dish.

I went for the special of the night which were baked razor clams. Usually when I order razor clams, they're simply prepared with grilling with lemon and oil. This version was topped with a garlic and herb breadcrumb then baked. The result was something quite delicious. Tender and plump whole razor clams cooked in its own juices and topped with a nice lemony and herbaceous bread crumb. It wasn't overwhelming at all and let the freshness of the clams shine through.
For his entree, Mr. M&P had the special pig face. They take the skull of a small pig, split it in half then roast it. It's also topped with breadcrumbs and came with a side of cheesy polenta. I think the side was a bit overkill since the pig face itself was very rich and indulgent. None the less, the polenta was really tasty. As for the pig face, it was pretty delicious. You found little nuggets of tender meat and skin. If you're a bit more adventurous then there's also the brain and eyes. The squeeze of lemon on top helped with balancing it out a big and cutting into the fattiness. Overall, he enjoyed it and striped it to the bone.
As for myself, I chose a much less filling entree. I had the Spaghettini Ricci ($26) which is long thin pasta with sea urchin. It was served with fresh tomatoes and a light tomato sauce. I enjoyed this dish for it's lightness yet strong flavors. The pasta was cooked well and each strand was coated in the delicious sauce. I really enjoyed it.
We all very much enjoyed Peasant. The food was delicious and the service friendly. It's the kind of place that doesn't necessarily warrant a special occasion to visit. It's just perfect for a day out to dinner. It was a long time between visits for me. I hope I won't wait that long again to go back.

Peasant
194 Elizabeth Street
New York, NY 10012
(212) 965-9511
peasantnyc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.